On the day of its introduction, a newly launched social networking site formed by former members of Donald Trump’s closest circle was hacked.
Gettr, a new service launched by Jason Miller, a former top adviser to President Trump, was hacked by a “intruder” on Sunday, according to Reuters.
In a statement to Reuters, Mr Miller said, “The problem was found and fixed in a couple of minutes, and all the intruder was able to do was change a few user names.”
Mr Miller also told the news agency that more than 500,000 people have signed up to use the site, and that the security problem had been “rectified.”
In the latest attempt by high-profile conservatives to compete with Big Tech, the new site is promoted as a “non-bias social network for individuals all over the world” via app stores.
According to Reuters, a Salon reporter tweeted images of multiple Gettr profiles with the message “JubaBaghdad was here, follow me on twitter :).”
Former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s account, as well as Mr Miller’s, were believed to have been hacked, according to the outlet.
The new software was officially launched on Sunday, although Politico initially reported that the social media site had been accessible to download in beta form prior to that day.
Users can submit 777-character updates on the platform, which has a Twitter-like dashboard with trending topics and other comparable features.
Last week, Politico claimed that the platform had previously been used by Chinese Communist Party opponents and had ties to exiled Chinese tycoon Guo Wengui, who apparently has a financial relationship with Steve Bannon, Mr Trump’s onetime adviser.
The app’s launch coincides with conservatives’ rising dissatisfaction with major social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, which claim without evidence that they are attempting to mute or “delete” their beliefs.
Conservatives’ scrutiny grew even more intense after Mr Trump was banned from such sites following the 6 January uprising, with Twitter claiming that the former president had used his platform to “incite violence.”
There has been a lot of conjecture, which has been supported by Mr Trump himself, that he would be interested in assisting in the formation of a new competing platform.
It’s unclear whether the former president will join the new platform, while sources close to the project claim that Mr Trump has a username set aside and ready to go.
“The former president is going to make his own decision,” a source close to the app told Politico. “It’s absolutely there and ready for him should he make the decision — we would welcome that.”
“There is an account reserved for him and ready for him,” they added, “but it is up to him to decide.”
Mr. Miller told Fox News that the platform was not being funded by Mr. Trump.